Monday, August 17, 2009

Don't Pass on the Periodicals

The module in our Ed Tech class about searching periodical databases definitely provided me with a duhaha moment, to use a phrase coined by fellow classmate, Julie. Why did I never read about the individual databases before to see which I thought would be pertinent? Duh?! Why did I never realize that when I came across an abstract during a websearch that I couldn't access due to lack of subscription, that I could go to a licensed periodical database through a library and presto ... access. Duhaha!! And using the article linker feature ... Aha!

I like the organized and structured form of licensed periodical databases for scholarly searches. I like the fact that before articles are published, they are fact checked and reviewed by editors or experts in the field. This saves me time (not eliminates the time) determining validity. I believe that proper search techniques and usage of these databases is very valuable information and I intend to start introducing these concepts in small, easy, non-threatening increments to my own students (and other adults).

Here is a summary of the strengths and weaknesses of a web search and a database search:

World Wide Web Searching

Strengths
Easy search technique w/ lots of info
Good for current topics
Good for statistics
Good for finding graphics, charts, tables

Weaknesses
No true structure or organization
Only developed in the last decade, so older publications usually need a fee to access or aren't available
Broken links ... disappearing pages
Anyone can post information

Licensed Periodical Database Searching

Strengths
Easy to search and narrow
Current & older issues available
Content reviewed by editors or "experts"
Easier to find evaluations, comparisons, analysis, etc
Can be more current than books

Weaknesses
Sometimes find abstracts only
May need to use more than one database
Time lag for publication of scholarly journals on current events

No comments:

Post a Comment