Friday, August 14, 2009

Blog Purpose

So, here goes ... my first blog and it's all due to a class assignment. I have read people's blogs in the past and while I enjoy reading what some of my friends write, I mainly keep up with them through their Facebook accounts. And honestly, although my grade may be negatively affected by this comment, I've always viewed personal blogs from the despair.com point of view. Their demotivator poster says, "Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few."

But like our classmate, Roxanne, said on her post, "Down the Rabbit Hole" I go. I'm trying to keep up, people! Although I'm kicking and screaming on this one. I don't want my so little to say to be said to so few people or to so many people for that matter. ;-)

The first thing I did was to add yet another email account to my list; gmail. Then I lamented the fact that in creating this blog I had such a limited number of templates. I searched around, found some very pretty html codes, but then found that they didn't have the gadget capability I wanted. Boo. Then I spent some time using the research I did in the last module to add some awesome blogs to my google reader so I could easily follow them. Now THAT is a function that I understand and is useful to me. But adding my own posts? Not sold. In fact, I joined those blogs privately, because I did not want people to be able to link to this blog.

Then I thought, now who in the world is going to want to read about my research on long-term outcomes for adults with autism who did or did not receive early intervention? Who is going to want to read about my research on stress causing diabetes? I don't even want to read my thoughts about it! I wanted to read other people's thoughts about it and I did! So I decided to go onto YouTube and try to get some inspiration from leelefever's Blogs in Plain English. I love those "in plain English" movies.

When I first researched wikis and blogs in the classroom on the licensed periodical databases at Hatch, I did find a personal use for a blog and am very excited about it. I will be starting a blog in which I post my children's literary, art, drama, and music creations complete with audio and video podcast. (Remember I'm a homeschooling mother) Currently, I send samples of their work via email to bunches of family and friends across the world and then I read the feedback emails to my kids. But how much cooler will it be, if my kiddos can see their work posted and see the comments all on one page. And they will not *have to* have a blog/blog reader in order to keep up, because they all follow me on Facebook and I can easily link my blog there. Yippee! I think it will be neat for my family and friends to read each other's comments as well. But alas, that will have to wait. And in the meantime, I will be grateful that I'm getting some valuable practice right here and now.

More on my journey through this Ed Tech class later ...

(btw: did you notice that if you click the links above that they open in a separate window so you can't leave my blog without purposefully going! Now how much irony does that show after all my ranting about not wanting people to read my "so little words." BUT I'm proud that my html came back to me enough for me to do that.)

3 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    You've probably already read this book or even gone to a talk where he has spoken (he lives locally) but I thought I'd send you this link -http://www.johnrobison.com/educators.asp
    . It seemed like something/someone you'd be interested in.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read his book and his brother's book too and seen his lecture. His book is so meaningful and insightful. But I'm glad you sent the link because maybe someone else can benefit from it. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    After reading each of your other blog posts, I would argue that you do in fact have much to say! I love how you have used your blog to post links to things that you have found, and to share your insights into databases, and, to share some of the cool things you have learned from Google help. Now imagine sharing what other people are learning about tools that you have not looked at, and, things you may have missed from tools you have looked at-though you are so thorough, I doubt you miss much :-), and you see that the possibility for learning never ends. I enjoyed reading your blog!
    Mia

    ReplyDelete